Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Island Time

Yesterday we crossed the border into Canada. After a few brief moments with a very serious and intent crossing guard who wanted to make sure that we were not going to leave anything in Canada, we headed north to the ferry that would take us to Vancouver island. The ferry was two hours, and we had a great time watching the amazing views of mountains and water. This place is awesome!
We camped the night in our first walk-in campsite that is basically a large conglomeration of tents in a field that you have to carry your stuff to. It was really interesting and surprisingly quiet. We spent the afternoon driving around a small part of the island. Naturally we assumed that because we had not really heard of Vancouver Island, it was empty. Oh contraire. There are several sizable towns along the coast, and there is water everywhere. We stopped and walked along the beach where I had the serious misfortune of breaking my Choco sandal strap. While this does not seem to be too terrible these are basically the only shoes I wear unless I am forced to don socks, and they also take weeks to break in a new pair. I guess I'll be venturing out to find new ones.
We actually came to the island to housesit for some people that we found on the internet, so this afternoon we landed at their house. They are a delightful couple with a very pretty cat and live on a little lane with a cedar-shingled cottage surrounded by gardens that they practically begged us to eat out of. Tough duty. We had a great dinner with them and chatted about everything from books to computers to camping to their grandchild. :)
They also told us about places to go around town, so hopefully this week will include some hiking at Mount Washington and perhaps even a little kayaking. Who knows...I'm just glad for a kitchen. While I certainly don't miss our apartment (like I thought I would), I do miss cooking. So here's to a week of better food and indoor plumbing.

3 comments:

  1. Hey y'all!

    Sounds like you've landed yourselves a SWEET gig!! Isn't Vancouver Island a tourist hotspot? I have a few friends who've gone their for honeymoon. I'm surprised you'd not heard of it!! BTW, Chacos are guaranteed for life, you should send it back. =) Have fun!
    Krsiti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brooke & Rodney it was great to have you join our Sunday community here in Comox. Glad your 'going for it'.


    Have a fantastic trip.

    God Bless You
    Pastor Dave Postal
    www.cpclife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chacos are the best. I've had the flip-flops for a year now and I can wear them all day walking anywhere and be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete