Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring in Boulder

I can't believe that it is already April!  The last several months have been a great time here in Boulder working, playing, and spending some fun time with friends. 

Not so long ago, we were still snowshoeing and enjoying all the "white stuff" that the Rockies have to offer.  Admittedly, however, after a cool summer and a rather long winter, we were pretty happy to see the snow move on.  Rare for us, but we were really itching to get outside again (minus all the winter gear).  :)

The picture of the cabin is a winter shot of the lovely place that we were able to live our first two months in town.  It is up at the Chautauqua that backs right up to the Flatirons.  Check out this website if you would like to read more about this amazing place.  www.chautauqua.com  Let's just say that hiking trails and mountains right outside our door were perfect.  I had lived up there the year before Rod and I got married, but it was so much nicer to be up there in a little cottage together.  

After two months, however, our lease there was up, and we moved across town to another apartment.  Why all the moving you ask.  Well, we are job-hunting, and we are waiting to hear back on some jobs, so we are officially still in limbo.  In fact, if the post office delivered to Limbo Lane, that would be our address.  We are learning that traveling is great, some limbo is good, a lot of limbo is, well, limbo.  There is a reason that word looks weird. 

We have found some really great ways though to spend this limbo time, and below are a few pictures and descriptions of our adventures. 

That furry white long-necked animal is an alpaca.  Given my fairly recent infatuation with all thing fiber and wool, I jumped on the chance to get to go to an Alpaca Extravaganza in Longmont.  It was such a cool afternoon.  We went to a lecture on alpaca farming and another on all the ways that you can use alpaca fiber and we got to see a lot of the cuddly creatures.  Let's just say I feel in love, and I can't wait until I have a few of these living in my backyard.  In the meantime, I picked up some gorgeous alpaca fiber to spin, so that will have to suffice for now. 

We have also recently become addicted to Settlers of Catan thanks to some friends of ours.  Having avoided playing the game for so many years, I was intending to make it a streak and never play until I died.  Our friends had other plans.  We have had an awesome time hanging out with some great people and bartering for brick and sheep.  I'm glad I played, and even more glad that I managed to sweep the board once.  :)

But the real news lately is that I finally went on my first backpacking trip.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I have driven to Alaska and back, but I had not strapped my tent on my back, ventured out into the wilderness, and slept in the wild. 
I'm hooked!  We had an amazing time right outside Moab, Utah in Canyonland National Park.  If you have never made it to Utah, it is worth checking out.  The scenery is amazing, and they do not have bears!  I was in camping heaven.  The weather was perfect, the hiking was great, and we finally got to sleep outside again.  While the weather here in CO is still a little chilly, we jumped at the chance to get back outside while it was warm in UT, and Rod planned the perfect trip.  Good times.

Well, it looks like we will be here in CO for the next several weeks, so we are looking forward to when it gets warm enough to camp in our "own backyard."  Until then, I guess we will just have to hone our Catan skills.  But these days I'd given all my brick for a warm night.  Soon enough. 


1 comment:

  1. I just love reading about all your adventures. We are Settlers players, too...though Garth enjoys it more than I (maybe because he wins more!).

    ReplyDelete